Almost all parents have experienced that the packaging suited the little ones better than the gift. With a little imagination, cardboard boxes can instantly become trains, ships, planes, houses and much more. It’s almost in children’s blood to fiddle with cardboard. Here I show you what you can create together from cardboard. So it’s worth picking up!
Basic equipment for crafts with cardboard
Making toys out of cardboard is not only sustainable, but also cheap. Just look at the craft supplies you have in stock and then think about what you can do with them. In addition to cardboard rolls and boxes of all kinds, you can certainly have:
Craft idea with cardboard: marble run
A super cool craft idea because you can really enjoy it for a long time afterwards. And all you need is a large, flat box and a few empty toilet or kitchen rolls.
Here’s how it goes:
- Remove the top side of your box.
- Think of some kind of track through which you want to guide a ball inside the box and then glue the rollers with hot glue. If you want to use the game longer, you can color the roles. We glued some washi tape.
- Then you only need a hole at the beginning and end of the marble run through which a marble fits.
You can also draw arrows if you have to follow a specific order or write numbers on the wheels. Your kids can definitely train their dexterity and patience with the cardboard game – it can get loud at times because the marble doesn’t always do what it’s supposed to!
Here are more ideas for fun games you can make yourself:
Robots mess with cardboard and cardboard
A very popular craft object with children and also very grateful because the possibilities are truly limitless. In addition to boxes and cardboard rolls, you can really use a lot of what you have lying around, such as cans, lids or perhaps old cutlery. Otherwise, you only need aluminum foil.
Here’s how it goes:
- For the body, take a medium-sized cardboard box, coat it with glue and then cover it with aluminum foil.
- The head is made from a much smaller cardboard box. I had a small box of chocolates left for it. You can style it with anything that shines or looks like metal. I used gold masking tape and gold glitter craft paper.
- Bottle caps can be used as eyes. They hold well with a dab of hot glue.
- Toilet rolls and kitchen rolls are good for legs and arms. We decorated it with the same materials as the head.
- Then glue everything to the body with hot glue. Depending on the shape of the box, you must attach the legs in such a way that the robot can keep its balance.
By the way, you can do many other good things with bottle caps:
Make your own cardboard camera
Before children themselves get technical devices, they also like to play with handmade alternatives. The most important thing is that they can imitate mom and dad. You can easily make a camera with your loved ones from a small, flat box – the kind that often comes in the house as a shipment.
Here’s how it goes:
- Cover the front with a nice piece of paper if there are address signs or the like.
- Cut a piece about two centimeters thick from a toilet roll, which you glue to the center front like a lens.
- You can make the trigger from a piece of cork or a plastic cap.
- Then only one wire is missing. I just pushed the ends in with the tabs. If it doesn’t stick to you, use a dab of hot glue.
Even though my daughter already has a real kids camera, she played with her new camera several times today. Cardboard toys seem to retain their fascination for a long time.
Cardboard craft idea: puppet show
If you have a large box at home, you can really get creative with it and build a large puppet theater. We only had little ones ready, so we tried a mini theater for finger puppets. Besides the cardboard, you only need a small piece of fabric and some decorations.
And this is how it goes:
- Cut out a large rectangle from the bottom of your box.
- Measure two equal pieces from a piece of fabric that together is slightly larger than the rectangle you have cut out.
- Cut and glue over your rectangle from the back.
- With two pieces of string you can tie the theater curtain together at the bottom during the performance.
- My little one just let off steam with the decoration. Of course, you can also write or draw something on it.
Make a doll house to go out of the shoe box
With several boxes, you can build beautiful multi-storey dollhouses for your home. If you happen to have one of those shoe boxes that you can pull out, you can use it to make a dollhouse on the go instead. It is best to collect mini cartons or boxes for a while because you can use them to create beds, cabinets, shelves and more.
A real favorite in our nursery has been a dollhouse for a few months that I built from an antique drawer. You can read how and other ideas for upcycling drawers here:
Create a beautiful cardboard toy box
I always have boxes with lids. You can really use them often! We use them to help organize nursery shelves, craft drawers and in the hallway, among other things. Of course, we don’t just set up old shoe boxes, but design them in advance to your heart’s content. Motif paper can be used as well as washi tape, postcards or small pictures that I cut out of old calendars.
Your little ones will be happy to hide their odds and ends in such a pretty box, right? The smart boxes can also be stacked.
You need smaller boxes and don’t have any? Then quickly fold them yourself with these step-by-step instructions:
Looking for even more inspiration? Here are more craft texts with cardboard and paper:
You can find even more great DIY ideas in our video:
Which wall color suits you and your family?
Image source: familie.de editors
Well, did you like “Cardboard Crafts: 6 Creative Ideas for Kids”? did it help you, make you laugh or cry? So give us a like or share the article with other nice people. We really appreciate your feedback – and even more so if you follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Flipboard and Google News.