June 2, 2022 – Servicevalue and the editors of the magazine Focus-Money wanted to know from customers which home insurance companies they rated as the fairest. Ten providers received a “very good” rating. This group includes Allianz, Debeka, DEVK, Ergo, Generali Germany, Huk-Coburg, LVM, Provincial, VGH and Württembergische.
This year, Servicevalue GmbH, in collaboration with Focus-Money, has once again investigated which home insurance companies treat customers most fairly. The survey is based on an online consumer survey conducted in April and May.
They could rate up to two providers with whom they had been a customer within the last twelve months. A total of 3,261 customer reviews for 35 companies were collected as part of the survey.
Verdict: This is how justice was determined
In order to make the virtual construction “fairness” measurable and thus controllable, the fairness that customers perceive as a meta-concept was parameterized in the study using the following six sub-dimensions with a total of 23 performance characteristics:
- fair tariff performance: selection of offers, transparency of tariffs, good combination options, flexibility in tariffs, attractive additional technical services, attractive additional organizational services;
- fair customer advice: answering customer needs, answering all questions, professional competence;
- fair customer service: availability of employees, uncomplicated processing of inquiries, reward of customer loyalty, goodwill in case of complaints / complaints;
- fair settlement of claims: prompt response in case of a claim, uncomplicated settlement of claims, appropriate extent of settlement;
- fair customer communication: the reliability of the statements, understandable communication, appropriate scope of information, clarity of the website;
- fair value for money: value for money, stable premiums, fair sum insured.
Rating scale in four levels
A four-point scale was available to consumers for evaluation. This ranges from “strongly agree” (1), “rather agree” (2), “rather disagree” (3) to “strongly disagree” (4). With regard to the methodology, Servicevalue further stated: “The sub-dimensions are a result of the respective evaluation criteria as an unweighted mean value. […].
All companies that are above average receive the rating ‘good’. Companies that are again above the average of companies rated as ‘good’ get a ‘very good’. “
The most equitable home insurance companies from the customer’s point of view
In the overall evaluation, where the six dimensions were equally divided, ten companies received the top grade “very good”. These include (in alphabetical order):
VGH managed to get into the top group again. Eight of the nine other actors mentioned had already belonged to this group in the previous year (VersicherungsJournal 4.6.2021). Provincial, which at the time was still represented by three individual companies among the top providers, has now been merged into the provincial insurance group.
Allianz, Debeka, Huk-Coburg and LVM are among the best companies in all six segments. DEVK (excluding customer service), Ergo (excluding claims settlement), Provincial (excluding value for money), VGH (excluding customer communication) and Württembergische (excluding tariff services) each received five “very good” ratings).
Expertise is especially important
The key customer loyalty drivers were also identified as part of a relevance analysis (variance explanation of the correlation according to Pearson). Here, the selection of offers proved to be by far the least important. At the top is the expertise in customer service.
In the latter point, Provincial comes out best (mean: 1.58). Positions behind it are occupied by Generali Deutschland (1.60) and VGH (1.61). They are followed by Württembergische and DEVK (1.64 each) and Ergo (1.65). The average value is 1.87.
Further information on content, purchasing opportunities and the price of the 337-page survey on the “Customer Rating: Fairness of Residential Building Insurers 2022” survey can be found in this survey folder (PDF, 484 KB).