Other victims are possible: Husband is said to have abused twelve children as a babysitter in NRW – Panorama – Society

The main suspect in a new substance abuse complex in North Rhine-Westphalia is said to have sexually abused twelve children. Half of the victims were younger than three years, investigators in Cologne said Monday. Therefore, the 44-year-old from Wermelskirchen primarily came into contact with his victims as a babysitter. The youngest victim was a month old.

The man has been under investigation since November. He was arrested in December. Investigators confiscated several data carriers. A total of 32 terabytes of data were confiscated. A terabyte printed on paper results in a stack about 25 kilometers high, investigators explained about the dimensions of the case.

[Wenn Sie aktuelle Nachrichten aus Berlin, Deutschland und der Welt live auf Ihr Handy haben wollen, empfehlen wir Ihnen unsere App, die Sie hier für Apple- und Android-Geräte herunterladen können.]

Much of it has not yet been evaluated – the number of victims and cases may therefore increase. Just backing up the data took 17 days.

“It will take a very long time before we have dealt with the complex,” said Attorney General Ulrich Bremer. In addition, it can be assumed that the dimensions of the substance abuse complex in Bergisch Gladbach went beyond. In essence, the 44-year-old acknowledged the deeds.

Search for more victims

It will be checked if other children could have been victims of the man. Lists of references to other suspects were found on him. Her inclinations were also recorded in it. This extended the study. The suspects were not networked with each other. The 44-year-old maintained individual contacts with other suspects. It is therefore wrong to speak of a “pedophile ring”.

Investigators were shocked by the brutality of the assaults captured in the videos. “I have never encountered such a degree of inhuman brutality and relentless indifference to the sufferings of young children,” said Falk Schnabel of Cologne Police. “What I saw shook me to the core,” added State Attorney Joachim Roth.

Some victims only found out during the investigation that they had been sexually abused as young children. The videos found on the data carriers date back to 1993.

The 18 cases he is now charged with took place between 2005 and 2019.

Studies in 14 federal states

On Friday, investigations into the new aggression complex in North Rhine-Westphalia against a total of 73 suspects in 14 federal states became public. The suspects are said to have possessed and traded in child pornography. In some cases, they themselves are said to have abused children.

“We can already say that this substance abuse complex has a new, horrific dimension in many respects, which shakes me deeply,” said Prime Minister Herbert Reul (CDU). Some of the videos are over half an hour long. “The children’s suffering is similarly long,” he said.

Herbert Reul (CDU), Minister of the Interior of North Rhine-Westphalia, answers questions about the abuse complex in Wermelskirchen.Photo: Federico Gambarini / dpa

“We will get you – maybe not today, but one day we will stand at your door,” Reul said in the direction of the perpetrators. The man from Wermelskirchen kept in touch with the main suspect in the Münster assault complex. In a video chat, the 44-year-old saw abuse and gave instructions.

In recent years, North Rhine-Westphalia has repeatedly experienced major abuse processes. Most recently, the main suspects in the Münster complex were sentenced to long prison terms. Earlier, child abuse at a campsite in Lügde, which had been undiscovered for years, and the abuse complex Bergisch Gladbach had created horror throughout the country. (AFP)

Leave a Comment