- monkeys: Several cases known in EU countries – the number increases
- First case of monkey pox in Germany proven – reports Bundeswehr
- Robert Koch Institute: These are the symptoms
- Courses and therapy: This is how monkey cups develop
- WHO warns and recommends insulation and contact tracking
IN Great Britain there have been a few since the first case of monkey pox additional infectionsn. meanwhile the increase Cases of monkey pox in other countries: Cases have now also emerged in Spain, Portugal and other countries. And now also in Germany. that World Health Organization (WHO) now comes with a strict recommendation: insulation and contact tracking. Where symptoms you need to be careful and how dangerous RKI assesses the disease, you can find out here.
Doctors should be vigilant: Monkey cups are likely to be sexually transmitted
In one of RKI published article it says, given the cases in the UK, should abekopper considered as a possible cause in case of cloudy cup-like skin changes, even if the affected have not traveled to specific areas. According to RKI, men who have sex with men must unusual skin changes “seek immediate medical attention”.
According to the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), the number of cases of the rare disease registered in the UK increased further on Wednesday. Connections between those affected are only partially known. In some cases, it is unclear where those affected became infected. The last two cases in London and the south east of England are not related to travel to countries where the disease is endemic. It is therefore possible that Human-to-human spread of infection in the UK had taken place, it was stated in the announcement from Wednesday evening (May 18, 2022).
According to the authority, the majority of the sick in the UK are men who sexual contact with other men had. abekopper is so far not as a sexually transmitted disease known, stressed the UKHSA, but they could through direct contact during intercourse be transferred. Men who have sexual contact with other men have therefore been asked to look for any unusual rashes or injuries to their body, especially in the genital area to respect.
Blood, tissues, excrement – this is how monkey cups are usually transmitted
According to RKI, the disease is usually transmitted via body fluids such as Blood, tissues or feces from an infected animal on man. In most cases, rodents transmit the skin disease.
One Human-to-human transmission of monkey cups be extreme Rare and only possible with very close contact. Until now, smallpox has not been considered a sexually transmitted disease. According to RKI, the current cases show the opposite.
The infection becomes more contagious as the disease progresses: “Transmission as early as the prodromal phase is possible with face-to-face contact through secreted airway secretions.”
Monkey pox spread to other countries: Dozens of suspected cases are being investigated
case of actual rare monkey cups is now found in more and more countries – now also in Spain, Portugal and the United States. A person from the state of Massachusetts in the northeastern part of the country was hit, the US health authority CDC said on Wednesday. In the majority of the cases that have become known so far, men are also affected here sexual contacts had to other men.
IN Canada Health authorities are investigating, according to local media about a dozen suspected cases. Results are expected in the coming days. Authorities had been informed of a confirmed case in the province of Quebec, the Canadian television station CBC reported Wednesday night (local time) with reference to the local Ministry of Health.
There was initially no official confirmation.
Monkey pox symptoms in humans: RKI explained
To Robert Koch Institute explains that symptoms in monkey cups similar to human cups maybe. that cups of man has been considered extinct worldwide since 1980 following a major vaccination campaign. The vaccination also protected quite well against infection with monkey pox. But as RKI explains, large sections of the world’s population now have no vaccination protection more. In the case of monkey cups, experts distinguish between two phases:
Pre-eruptive stage (before breakthrough)
- Sudden onset of fever (38.5 to 40.5 ° C on the second day) with severe headache, back pain, sore throat, cough, malaise and exhaustion (extreme exhaustion of physical strength), sometimes diarrhea
- Lymph node swelling often occurs before the onset of exanthema (skin rash).
- The disease usually begins on the first day with typical enanthema (rash in the area of the mucous membranes) and exanthema (inflammatory skin rash) on the face, hands, forearms; centripetal spread throughout the body with subsequent development of redness and smallpox-like uniform stages of flowering (macula, vesicles, pustules and crusts) within a few days in about 80 percent of patients. In 20 percent polymorphic exanthema similar to chickenpox. The lesions heal after drying out and peeling with scarring.
- People who have been vaccinated against smallpox develop fewer lesions than those who have not been vaccinated. Normal biphasic course of fever with the first peak in the first 3 to 4 days of illness, drops to below 38 ° C and rises again most around the 5th / 6th. day. Day at transition to pustular phase. In unvaccinated people, ulcers often occur on the mucous membranes of the oral cavity with pharyngitis and tonsillitis, conjunctivitis with capillary edema and very painful lesions in the genital area. Blindness and disfiguring scars rarely occur as permanent damage. Severe, fatal hemorrhagic forms are rare.
- Mild forms with fewer than 10 coupling lesions have been observed.
Course of monkey pox infection and therapy in children and adults
that Incubation period for monkey cups is between 7 and 21 days, announces RKI. In the beginning, it is usually one Rash on the face starts and then up other body parts spreads.
In contrast to eradicated human smallpox According to experts, monkey pox usually runs its course significantly milder – most people get well within a few weeks. However, a serious course of events may also occur in some of those affected. In children below Sixteen yearswhich is infected with the Central African virus variant, one observes Mortality of about 11 percent, it says on RKI’s website. In Western countries, however, the danger of smallpox is low, experts in various media agree.
The treatment is primarily symptomatic and supportive, “prevention of bacterial superinfections” is important. According to RKI, a drug developed to treat orthopoxvirus infections was also recently approved in the EU for the treatment of monkey pox (Tecovirimat).
WHO calls for action: isolation of patients and contact tracing
After cases of monkey pox piling up in different countries, the WHO has now called for action: strict contact tracking of those affected is a first, important step in limiting the spread – the organization announced on Wednesday (May 18).
If the suspicion of monkey pox is substantiated in the course of the skin change, patients should too consistently isolated will. Healthcare professionals should familiarize themselves with usual precautions in case of infectionwhich can be spread via contact or drops. WHO emphasizes that in corona pandemic which many people take for granted Hand hygiene against the risk of infection Help. The WHO considers travel or trade restrictions with the UK to be unnecessary “according to the information currently available”.
You may also be interested in: “Leopard Cups”: What to do if the next pandemic breaks out?